Chelsea played Major league soccer outfit Charlotte football club in their second pre-season game ahead of the new premier league season.
Chelsea loses on penalties
Both teams went to penalties and the blues fell short of demands, as they were unable to win, courtesy of a missed penalty from youngster, Conor Gallagher.
However, in this article, I’ll be sharing 5 things we noticed during the game.
1. New Chelsea signing, Raheem Sterling was a delight to watch in his first outing for Thomas Tuchel’s side tonight. His acceleration and burst of pace on several occasions really caught the eye of many.
It was not a day to enjoy for the blues as they were beaten on Penalties by Charlotte.
Chelsea had the advantage at half-time, courtesy of a cool finish from Christian Pulisic after Michy Batshuayi’s shot from outside the box, deflected towards the American’s direction.
In the second half, changes were made and a totally different eleven came on and Charlotte had most of the ball and dictated the game, which enabled them to get a late equalizer at the dieing stages of the second half.
2. Kennedy played on the right wing-back role instead of the left wing-back role, which is more suitable for him as a left footer.
3. Kai Havertz and Mason Mount failed to impress and make good use of the ball in the second half. They caused little threat to the opposition unlike Chelsea’s first half attack.
4. Ethan Ampadu was a standout performer as he controlled the midfield and made some wonderful passes, likewise Levi Colwill before Charlotte equalized in the second half.
5. Timo Werner, Cesar Azpilicueta, Armando Broja, N’golo Kante and Ruben Loftus-Cheek all missed the Charlotte game due to injury. Meanwhile, Kalidou Koulibaly wasn’t ready to play and Tuchel didn’t want to risk him.